Followers

Sunday 2 March 2014

Forever Lost but Never Forgotten.

I've been rooting through my old photos again and came across this one. Its of my Great Uncle Victor posing with his troops during the second world war. This war started in 1939 and ended in 1945 and all fit men between 18 and 41 years of age either signed up to The Army or the Home Guard. /the casualties were huge with 450,900 deaths between civilians and military.  I looked at this photo and even though my Great Uncle lived till an old age, I wonder how many of these men made it home.
I used the Capsule Collection Bexley Black and layered up the papers. I've had this one in my stash for ages and found the harsh black and white patterns a bit challenging. I added red as a secondary colour in honour of all the poppies that we wear on Remembrance Day.
I only gave a brief description this time but I would like to add more journaling to my album at a later date as I consider it living history, my Grandparents lived through the war and I should document their story.
These striking paper blooms are from the Sew Lovely Collection and are fast becoming a favourite embellishment of mine. They are great for finishing off a layout and can be layered up and decorated to add a unique touch to your pages.

I would like to end on a note of how lucky we are to live in an era where we are quite safe despite the fact that a lot of the world is in upheaval.

16 comments:

janna'scraftingattic said...

I quite agree about a living history , it's a lot of the reason I scrap book for my grandchildren . I have bexley black & think it's works well on this photo - great work

Barbara said...

What a great scrapping layout, love it.... and so poignant. I'm determined to start scrapping soon! ...popped by from Crafting Cafe blog hop xx

Sam K said...

Gorgeous layout, What a fab photo to have and to make into a special page, I love your little write up to. Hugs xx Just popped over from the crafting cafe blog hop xx

lady jasmine crafts said...

Beautiful layout xxx

Linda Simpson said...

Gorgeous Layout, love the embellishments, such a fabulous way to show case a very special person.
Hugs
Linda xxx

The Sparkly Fairy said...

This is a lovely way to share family history. Popping over from the blog hop :)

Nikki said...

This is lovely - I love the way that the red just pops.
My plan is to get a lot more scrapping done this year......
On the hop over from the cafe x

Dawn said...

Just hopping by on The Crafting Cafe blog hop to say hello!
Your page is just fantastic! The papers & embellishments work perfectly with your photo!
Best hop on!
Love & Hugs
Dawn xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, A super layout love the journaling too, great papers. I have arrived here from the Crafting Cafe Blog hop.

Hugs Erin x

Unknown said...

Wow a fabulous layout great work, just hopping by from the Cafe xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Katie, love your layout and the colours - your post really makes you think, Jill x

Unknown said...

Beautiful and fabulous way to journal your history. I bet your grandparents story is a great one as was mine. I miss my grandpa every day!

Christine's Craftyart Blog said...

Lovely layout. Iv'e arrived here from the Crafting Cafe Blog spot too. Lovely projects from everyone. xx

mand said...

Hi from the Crafting Cafe blog hop! Gorgeous page and wonderful subject - you've treated it beautifully too. I have a WWI photo in my todo list. Ax

Vee Cassidy said...

This is a brilliant project, my family lost people in the wars. Came over from the hop. Vee xx

Leslie Germain said...

Such a powerful and gorgeous page, Katie. Love the colors and the products you chose!!!